After Kid Dynamite, Dan Yemin switched from guitar to vocals for his next project, Paint It Black. PIB is very comparable to where Kid Dynamite left off, with the same catchy tunes that have been present through the lineage from the Lifetime days. Dan’s lyrics and vocals are quite a bit more pissed and sarcastic, which I really dig a lot. I got the opportunity to work with PIB for their “New Lexicon” vinyl release on my label, Rivalry Records. Zach and I were both really excited (and surprised!) when Dan gave us a shout and asked us if we’d like to license the vinyl. As always with PIB albums, “New Lexicon” is a total rager, and I’m super grateful for having the opportunity to be a part of it. Thanks to Dan, Andy, and the guys for putting the faith in us!
Paint It Black – “CVA” LP
Paint It Black’s first LP on Jade Tree Records. Like most Jade Tree releases around this time, they pressed an equal amount of transparent vinyl and opaque vinyl of the same color. This photo shows the opaque (solid) blue.
Paint It Black – “New Lexicon” LPMy best friend and co-founder of Rivalry Records, Zach Harlan, met Dan Yemin randomly sitting at a bar in SF before a show on the Lifetime reunion tour. They got to talking, with neither of them knowing who each other was. Eventually they introduced themselves, and Dan was pumped that Zach was involved with Rivalry because he really liked the Go It Alone records that we had released! A year or so later, I got a random email from Dan Yemin, asking me if I would be at all interested in licensing the next Paint It Black LP on vinyl, since Jade Tree was really only doing CD’s at this point. Zach and I were both super excited about this! This release turned out awesome.
The layout was handled by a guy in Philly that Andy Nelson knew. I’m not sure if he took the photos, or if Andy supplied those to him. But I do know that they were custom photos taken for this release (i.e. they are not stock photography). The only bad thing about printed dust sleeves is that they tend to rip if you leave the vinyl in them.
Paint It Black – “Goliath” 7″
The band self-released the “Goliath” 7″ as a single for the “New Lexicon” LP on Rivalry. I believe they gave it away free at the “New Lexicon” record release show. Each copy was screen printed and hand numbered, with no cover or insert. Mine is #533/500, so obviously a few extra came back from the pressing plant after they had already made the stamp. I love screen printed 7″s!
Paint It Black – “Amnesia” 7″
After doing their first 3 releases as full length albums, PIB released a series of 7″s of sorts, each on a different label. I thought there were supposed to be more, but I think there were only two 7″s? Anyway, the look and feel of the cover art is very similar on both. This one was released on Bridge 9 Records. This is the most limited color, the “muddy rainbow” color.
My Paint It Black collection, at its peak…
- Paint It Black – CVA (SOLID BLUE)
- Paint It Black – CVA (CLEAR BLUE)
- Paint It Black – Paradise (SOLID GREEN, Silk Screened cover, Pre-Order, #64/250)
- Paint It Black – Paradise (CLEAR GREEN w/WHITE SWIRL, Silk Screened cover,
- Euro Tour, #52/203)
- Paint It Black – Paradise (CLEAR GREEN)
- Paint It Black – New Lexicon (TEST PRESS #1/21)
- Paint It Black – New Lexicon (BLUE/GREEN SWIRL, out of 120)
- Paint It Black – New Lexicon (BLACK, out of 270)
- Paint It Black – New Lexicon (WHITE, out of 1180)
- Paint It Black – New Lexicon (GREEN, 2nd press, out of 525)
- Paint It Black – New Lexicon (BLUE, 2nd press, out of 780)
- Paint It Black – New Lexicon (BLUE, Euro Tour Cover, #173/250)
- Paint It Black – Goliath (CLEAR w/silkscreened b-side, #533/500)
- Paint It Black – Amnesia (MUDDY RAINBOW, 1st press, out of 300)
- Paint It Black – Amnesia (GREY, 1st press, out of 700)
- Paint It Black – Amnesia (WHITE, 1st press, out of 1500)
- Paint It Black – Amnesia (CLEAR, 2nd press, out of 1000)
- Paint It Black – Surrender (RED, with some black streaks, out of 320)
- Paint It Black – Surrender (GREEN, with some black streaks, out of 320)
- Paint It Black – Surrender (BLACK)